Wednesday 12 September 2012

Research Continues on the Bodleian


        This is the second entry in my series of entries on the early library helped by Thomas de Cobham through to the opening of the Bodleian in 1602 then continued on through the rest of the 17th century. 
l
      The research process for this week has meant me figuring a layout of Blogs, as well as using the Victoria University catalogue for full text online articles. I have had difficulties finding more than general information on the subtopics I have included under the main assignment topic. Another difficulty was that I went to my local library and discovered no books on the Bodleian. I think I'll have to go to a bigger library, see what I can find there.
      
      Since writing the first blog, I have discovered the following references on the aspects involved in this topic;
      The Schools Quadrangle of the Bodleian, with a statue of the Earl of Pembroke, Chancellor of the University, 1617-30.
      
      Sir Thomas Bodley. Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th Edition, 11/1/2011
       
      Oxford's Bodleian Library, a Landmark of Vast Riches, Has Everything but Space. By: Mooney, Carolyn J., Chronicle of   Higher Education, 00095982, 10/8/99, Vol. 46, Issue 7
     
      A drawing of books chained to reading lecterns
               
S    So far, I have enjoyed this assignment although at times I have found it difficult to progress to a point where I'm happy with the research. I have enjoyed finding out more about the early history of the Bodleian, traditions, important dates, names that were important to the creation and the continuation of the Bodleian, and the original library before the Bodleian was created in 1602.
    
      I am slowly but surely learning how to blog, and that has been a lot of fun. I feel that the skills I am learning will be important for me in the future when I write other blogs.

      See you at the next blog





·      
·        

No comments:

Post a Comment